This month’s soap challenge required each soap maker to choose a collaborator, and walk them through the steps using one of two techniques. We could choose from a drop swirl, or a soap with three mica lines.
I have yet to get mica lines to work for me, so after some discussion with my partner (my husband volunteered to be my collaborator) we went with the drop swirl. He did all the calculations and work; I provided the recipe and instructions. He chose to use primary colors-red, blue, and yellow-and wanted a black background. We used neon blue and yellow, and really red, all from Nurture Soap, and activated charcoal from Brambleberry.
Unfortunately, the fragrance we chose accelerated trace, and within seconds, our fluid batter was like brownie batter. My husband was a champ tho, and powered through it. He also did a very pretty design on top.
As you can see, we ended up with tiger stripes. You can tell at the bottom where the batter was still workable, and then it clearly became something other than a drop swirl.
My husband had no idea there were so many things that could go wrong, so many variables. He’s always respected my soaping, but I think he understands a little better why I fan girl geek over stuff like wood grain soap or the dancing funnel technique.
All in all, we had fun. I think that’s the most important thing.